Thursday, August 15, 2013

More Framing Progress & Sanding

There a bunch of restoration progress photos in my sub-album in Photobucket.  Just too lazy to upload all of them here.

A few days ago, I sanded about 3/4 of the interior.  I used hubby's palm sander.  My ears are still humming with tinnitus from the high-pitch screech noise it made.  Will need to wear ear plugs next time.  I'm still messing around with the amount of amber shellac mixed with clear shellac onto scrap pieces to see what the best mix will be to try to get the new panel to at least blend with the existing.  So far, a mix of 75% clear with 25% amber might do it.  The ones below are just a bit too dark at 50/50 mix.



It's been a PITA trying to figure out how to get it to blend naturally.  The existing wood is a weird pale, almost milk-paint look to it.  And I keep getting mixed info from folks on the vintage trailer boards that it is Ash not Birch, no, it's Birch not Ash.  *smacks head*  So I am on my own trying to figure it all out.  Fake it till you make it, right.

So I am lightly sanding down the original panels to get the old lacquer shine off, and will do a couple of coats of shellac just to help tone down and refresh the dry-ish wood look it has.  Wish me luck when I get to that point.

Dave has been moving along fairly quickly the past couple weeks.  The entire back end and both front sides is all done with the framing, new insulation and birch plywood.

What is left to restore is the front and the one section of roof around the vent.  Then he wants to get the windows back in.  Which means I have to stop with the wood work and get to working on stripping the old paint off the window frames and will do an acid wash to get them shiny again.  I will use the technique from Larry who has some very useful YouTube trailer restoration tutorials, and the window frame one is here at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWZy8ORjl_g

So, off-trailer topic....I have wanted to know how to crochet grannie squares for the longest time and then REALLY wanted to learn after seeing all the cute grannie square afghans in the vintage trailer pics on Pinterest (< my Board of trailer stuff).  My wish came true!  Last week while visiting some family out in Vegas my sister-in-law's Mother is an experienced crocheter and she was more than happy to show me how.  I had already tried watching YouTubes and reading blogs on how to do it, but I learn fastest when I can sit next to someone so they can show me what I am doing wrong, or right.  So grateful to her taking the time and patience to teach me how.

I am uber proud to show off my first crochet project,  it's a pillow cover I made for the Shasta!

Until next time, Hasta la Shasta!

No comments:

Post a Comment